Early this May, a 5-year old girl was molested by a 45-year old school driver, as there was no teacher or security guard present in the van, as mandated by the Haryana government’s Surakshit Vahan policy. In a majority of these cases, the antecedents of the drivers and vans are not registered or verified, which leads to harassment of children & women.
Also read How Safe are Our Children In India
Not everyone who is a victim is lucky! Crime does not see time, date, place & people. And logic cannot really deduce what provokes alleged perpetrators to impregnate a child or rape a 70-year-old woman. No amount of open line of education relating to ‘Good touch – Bad touch’ can prevent these innocent victims from being molested if the void is not filled.
Facts By National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)
- ~12% of the crimes in India are against women. The most unsafe cities for women in India are listed below. While UP & Bihar top the charts for crime against women & in general, these cities are also unsafe for women.
- Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore have accounted for 16.2%, 9.5% and 8.1% respectively
- Raipur & Durg Billai Nagar – Chattisgarh
- Indore, Bhopal, Jabalpur & Gwalior – Madhya Pradesh
- Aurangabad & Nagpur – Maharashtra
- Faridabad – Haryana
- Jaipur & Jodhpur – Rajasthan
- Kochi & Mallapuram – Kerala
Also read Best Alternative Schools In India
Our country is witnessing a dramatic spurt in the crime rate over a decade, with the law enforcement becoming weaker to nab the criminals. The ever increasing cases of rape, kidnapping, murder & trafficking only shows the inability of the courts to dispense fair justice on time and the incompetence of the police to bring the perpetrators behind bars. Eventually, this has emboldened the criminals to take the law into their own hands and take girls