Things to remember -
- Habitual breakfast consumption is positively associated with learning in children in terms of behavior, cognitive and school performance.
- Regular breakfast consumption helps in managing weight. Skipping breakfast isn’t a weight loss strategy. In fact children who skip the first meal, tend to binge eat on unhealthy food and often consume more calories which may lead to weight gain. This is true for adults too.
- A breakfast should provide essential nutrients like protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals besides energy. Choose breakfast foods that provide these nutrients to help provide nourishment to the body and boost the activity of the brain. Nutritionists recommend that breakfast should provide for 20 -25% of daily nutritional requirements.
- Adding a serving of fresh fruit, handful of nuts, yoghurt to your bowl of cereal can make it a balanced breakfast.
- Breakfast helps kick start our metabolism.
Commonly consumed breakfast options in the country –1. If you reside in the South, Idly/Dosa/Upma/Vada/Pongal are the staples in every family. 2. Poha & Parathas (Aloo/Gobi/Paneer) with dahi/yoghurt are are also good options 3. Whole-wheat sandwich with fresh vegetables like tomato, cucumber, lettuce, onion is also a good option as sandwiches are very versatile. Your choice of dressing, filling, toasted/plain – well they all taste yumm! :) Let’s face the truth – with our crazy schedules, we do not often have time to prepare the breakfast that we would ideally love to have. This is where a breakfast cereal could solve your problems. To be honest, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes has been my favourite since I was a kid. A bowl of cold milk with cornflakes and a generous helping of almonds, fine chopped banana, apple & mango if available seasonally was something I totally relished – be it mornings or evenings! Just thinking about that made me hungry already! Aahhh…
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!