Schooling style has changed a lot in the last two decades. School hours have become strenuous and kids are always hard pressed for time. Increasing competition and parental pressure make the kids stressed and prone to facing behavioural problems. In such circumstances, there are a lot of parents who have understood the importance of alternative education. Parents now want to make their children part of an educational set up where learning is not memorizing lengthy answers or cracking numbers. Thus were introduced alternative schools and here we tell you the Top 20 Best Alternative Schools In India.
Also Read – Best Books For Kids By Age
1. Anand Niketan Wardha
Mostly a Marathi medium school the Anand Niketan includes English as a subject and this makes it a bilingual school. All the classes that the kids undergo are interconnected to each other and this makes their studies more fun. Based on the Gandhian principle of alternative style of teaching the kids learn to handle all their tasks on their own.
- Focus on learning by doing
- Interconnected module of studies
- Informal style of teaching
Address – Sevagram, Wardha, Maharashtra 442102
A pioneer in alternative schooling in India the Tridha Mumbai lets the children explore the smaller joys of life. Starting from carpentry to gardening the kids learn all the skills however in a relaxed environment.
- Application of Steiner curriculum
- Focus on education through experiencing
Address: Malpa Dongri No.3, Near Pump House, Opposite Satya Darshan Society, Andheri East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400093
Phone: 022 2687 9209
3. Ukti, Noida – Best Alternative School In Noida
As of now existing only till class 4 Ukti’s fees lies in the range of 55000-1.6 lakhs per year. Ukti follows the teaching methodology of the Waldorf alternative education program models and inculcates academic, artistic and practical excellence in its students.
- Inculcating a love for learning
- Encouraging independent thinking
Address: WP 205, Wazidpur, Sector 130, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Phone – 099100 57515
4. Pallikoodam, Kottayam – Best Alternative School In Kerala
Found by Arundhati Roy’s mother the school focuses on giving a holistic learning experience to the students. With an approximate charge of 1.4 lakhs, the school works to make its students independent and capable to handle any situation and is hence considered to be one of the best alternative schools in that area.
- Informal instruction for junior kids
- Indian culture and habits inculcated
Address: Near Chidambarampady Junction, Kalathilpady, Rubber Board Rd, Kottayam, Kerala 686010
Phone: 0481 257 8123
5. Sahyadri School, Pune
Also, a part of the alternative education system the fees is slightly on the higher side. That is because they have boarding facilities and entail interesting forms of studies like trekking, natural excursions etc.
- Activity-based teaching
- Arts, dance, craft, and music teaching is given due attention
Address: Tiwai Hill, Tal : Rajgurunagar (Khed),
Phone: 2135 288440
6. Rishi Valley School Andhra Pradesh – Best Alternative Schools In India
Around 140 km from Bangalore in the interiors of Andhra Pradesh is located the Rishi Valley School. With nearly 360 boarding students studying the school aims that its students would develop into self- aware people who are always learning in life.
- Focus on a meaningful curriculum which is updated regularly
- Inculcating a love for nature among the kids
Address: Rishi Valley, Chittoor District, Madanapalle, Andhra Pradesh 517352
Phone: 085712 80044
7. Inodai, Best Alternative Schools In Mumbai
Focussing on the Waldorf educational style the school Mumbai fees can cost up to 2.2 lakhs. The teachers focus on providing respect and true guidance to the children and help them in exploring their individuality.
- Experientially and academically development provided
Address: Shree Ram Welfare Society, Upasara Lane, Off Juhu Lane, Shree Ram Nagar, Andheri West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400058
Phone: 022 6522 2711
8. Abhaya – Best Alternative School In Hyderabad
Abhaya school Hyderabad was actually found by a group of parents who were not so satisfied with the reigning education system. As the name suggests the school aims to make its students fearless and motivate them to work hard and achieve the kind of excellence they wish to aim at.
- Inspiring children to achieve creative excellence
- Non-competitive environment
Address: Maisamma Gudem, Bhadurpalle, Hyderabad, Telangana 500100
Phone: 080082 22056
9.Rajghat Besant School Varanasi
On the outskirts of the holy city of Banaras is located the Rajghat Besant school one of the many schools run by J Krishnamurthy. In the school, the students along with the teachers explore the world of knowledge and that of their own behavior as well.
- Focus on knowledge with spiritual growth
- Overall sanctity of the relationship between teacher and student
Address: Rajghat Fort, Near Malviya Bridge, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221001
Phone: 0542 244 0336
10. Aurinko, Bangalore
A progressive and futuristic learning space in Bangalore the school reiterates its teaching under the Aurinko curriculum. The school has a kid conducive ecosystem where both the students and teachers explore various modes of learning.
- The inclusion of different learning styles
- Learning opportunities as per a child’s caliber
Address: Camp 91 Opposite, Hosa Rd, Parappana Agrahara, Bengaluru, 560100
Phone: 098454 97901
11. Edha Education-Gurgaon
The aim of Edha education is to create a joyous environment for the students to learn while playing. Kids are taught how to explore new facets of the world and use that to expand their learning process. However, the school is a pre-primary only for the tiny tots ready to take on the world.
- Holistic child development models
- Focussing on interactions at local levels for better understanding
Address: Ashok Marg, Moti Vihar, Sector 41, Gurugram, Haryana 122003
Phone: 0124 238 4620
12. Hunar Ghar Rajasthan
Slightly different from the rest the Hunar Ghar wants to tell that even in rural areas good quality education can be provided. The teachers of the school come from nearby villages and they cater to attending the individual needs of each child staying there.
- Mixed age group studies
- Community-based projects and programs
Address: Buja, Rajasthan 307025
Phone: 099822 63129
13.Kalpavruksha , Mumbai
Located in Vikhroli Mumbai the school focuses all its efforts on developing its students as morally and socially responsible individuals. The children are made to achieve a balance with nature and try to conquer heights on the basis of his abilities.
- Discovering the unique capabilities of the student
- Village like ambience
- Organic set up to provide calmness to the students
Address: Janata Vidyalaya, No 4, Mumbai, Tagore Nagar, Vikhroli East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400083
Phone: 090040 41741
14. Yellow Train School, Best Alternative School In Coimbatore
A school inspired by the philosophies of Rudolf Steiner the Yellow train is located in an organic farm outside the boundaries of Coimbatore. The kids learn to grow amongst the orchards, fields, groves and cows and peacocks. The Yellow train school, Coimbatore aims to create free bird individuals who are skilled to handle any task at hand.
- Freedom through education
- Growing up in the lap of nature
Address: Adinashi Road, Mudalipalayam, Arasur, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu 64100
Phone: Best Schools In Coimbatore Yellow Train School Review
15. The School KFI , Chennai
Set up under the guidance of J Krishnamurthy school stays in a prominent position in the list of alternative schools in India . Located in Adyar Chennai the school is planning to relocate to Thazambur soon. With the provision of no exams till 10th, the school is one of the most successful alternative high school programs.
- No burden of exams before 10th
- Experimental and practical based training
Address: Damodar Gardens, Besant Avenue, Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600020. But now moving to Navalur, OMR.
Phone: 044 2491 5845
16. Prakriya Green Wisdom School
Focussing on creating a beautiful earth Prakriya teaches its students about learning about maintaining the ecological balance of mother Earth. The school wants the children to understand the implications of climate change and hence be prepared to handle it accordingly.
- Focus on creating earth consciousness
- Less emphasis on considering marks as the method of judging a child’s ability
Address: 70, Chikkanayakanahalli Road, Off Doddakannelli, Sarjapur Road, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560035
Phone: 080 2844 0925
17. Isai Ambalam School, Auroville
Located in the northern area of Auroville, the school has 115 students and 12 faculty members only. It was set up to provide a different style of education to the students of nearby villages. The school provides a lot of scope for kids to improvise and bring learning in their day to day routine.
- Day to day learning put to use
- Interaction with nature
- Encouraging to do your tasks on your own
Address: Auroville Main Road, Auroville, Puducherry, 605101
18. Aarambh Vasant Kunj – Best Alternative School In New Delhi
Based on the Waldorf style of education the Aarambh treats each of its students as a unique being. The school respects each child and works hard to help them grow into sensible and creative individuals with a strong bent of mind.
- Considering each child as a unique being
- Inculcating an independence of working in the students
Address: Church / Mall Rd, Shanti Kunj Main, Sector D, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, Delhi 110070
Phone: 095600 60441
19. Be Me Bangalore – Best Alternative School In Bangalore
BeMe school Bangalore, one of the Best Alternative Schools In India, is a unique concept where the students are taught how to speak for themselves, judge, evaluate and then take decisions. With activity corner, electives, expression circle and skill workshops the kids explore those vistas which they never would otherwise.
- Granting children a forum to have an express opinion
- Activity-based teaching to make learning fun
Address: 303/2, 7th A Cross Road, LBS Nagar, Vimanapura Post, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560017
Phone: 098803 96056
20. Sarang Alternative School, Kerela
The school which was started initially catered only to the school dropouts. However now even regular students get to gain knowledge on diverse topics like natural farming, watershed management, low-cost construction, and biodiversity conservation.
- Cooperation over competition
- Focus on the regeneration of natural resources and learning how to do it
Address: Chittoor, Agali, Kerala 678582
It May Also Interest You To Read –