Does baby need a massage?Baby massage is a way of gently stroking your baby’s body with rhythmic movements and strokes. Almost all babies enjoy a good relaxing massage (some really look forward to one). Massages help you to forge a strong bond with baby and aid in baby’s mental and physical growth, digestion, blood circulation and sleep. It helps in working towards strong baby limbs and maintaining the baby skin. Babies are generally given a massage before bath with either vegetable/mineral oils. In fact it works well to build a massage in to your baby’s sleep time routine and reduce the crankiness that comes with sleep.
Benefits Of Massaging The Baby With Oil
- Apart from building a stronger emotional connect between mother & child, massaging the baby also helps in -
- Enables him/her to use his gross & fine motor skills properly.
- It promotes better sleep pattern & helps sets a routine
- Develop stronger bones & strengthens muscles
- Increases blood circulation
- Helps in healthy weight gain
- Detoxifies skin & body
- Improves metabolism and relief from colic pain
How To Choose the Best Massage Oil For Babies?Every baby’s skin differs from it’s own parent or sibling. Some may have normal skin, some have dry, sensitive or oily skin. Depending on the skin type, you can choose a light or dense massaging oil. Dry skin will require extra moisturizer or dense oil. Normal skin may require a light oil that can penetrate the skin easily & nourish the skin well.
How To Massage Your BabyDab your fingers & palms with some baby oil & start from the thighs downwards towards the feet. Massage slowly, rhythmically and gently. Massage the tummy area in a circular motion to aid digestion. Place your baby on his/her tummy and massage the back in a way to soothe and relax your baby. A good head massage promotes good hair growth. Please note: Don’t massage after feeding your baby or when the baby is very cranky or feeling sleepy.
Tips to keep in mind while massaging baby
- Try choosing a fragrance free, chemical, paraben free & sulfate free product for your child.
- Choose the right time to massage baby and stick to the same time each day(whenever possible) to make a routine
- Massage with firm yet gentle strokes and watch out for baby’s displeasure
- Talk and play with baby as you massage
- Keep all massage and bath essentials handy even before you can begin
- Best Baby Oils In India 2018:
Dabur Lal Tail – Best Baby Massage Oil In India
Hamdard Roghan Sweet Almond Oil – Best Almond Oil For Baby Massage In India
Coconut Oil (Nariyal) – Best Massage Oil For Summers
Parachute Coconut Oil - Best Coconut Oil Brand In India100% original coconut oil, Parachute is a household name as it suits all skin types. It gets easily absorbed and trusted since decades. Price: Rs. 83 for 250ml.
Max Care Virgin Coconut Oil – Best Virgin Coconut Oil In India
Cetaphil Baby Massage Oil – Best Baby Oil Recommended By Pediatricians
Mustard Oil (Sarson) – Best Massage Oil For WintersYou can heat the mustard oil helps in skin lightening and hence also used by adults to de-tan & reduce pigmentation. Mix mustard oil with 1 tsp besan(gram flour), 1 tsp curd and 3 drops of lemon.Apply twice a week to see your child’s skin glow over few weeks.
Pigeon Baby Oil
Sebamed Soothing Baby Massage Oil
Biotique Bio Almond Oil- Best Chemical Free Baby Massage Oil
Life & Pursuits Mother’s Touch and Love – Best Organic Baby Massage Oil
Himalaya Baby Massage Oil – Best Herbal Baby Oil In India
Mothercare all we know baby oil – Best Natural Baby Oil In India
Mamaearth Soothing Massage Oil For Babies
Bio Bloom Baby Massage Oil
Rupal is a Company Secretary by profession. She’s mum to little angels and is passionate about writing. She’s keen on learning new skills; be it gardening or photography and you may catch her clicking silly selfies with her kids on a free day!