Pregnancy gets taxing in the third trimester. Your physique is now completely transformed and your baby bump is larger than ever before. You've gained a lot of extra weight, which puts pressure on your back.
To avoid severe back aches and injuries, it is vital that you maintain a good sitting posture, especially when you are 31 weeks pregnant. Correct sitting posture keeps you and your baby healthy and helps in having a normal delivery.
The following list of dos and don’ts will assist you in ensuring an ideal sitting position during pregnancy:
Things to do for a good sitting posture -
• Use a straight-backed chair having a lumbar support and comfortable armrest.
• Sit with your back straight and shoulders pushed back and relaxed.
• Allow your hips to touch the back of the chair.
• Maintain the pelvic tilt.
• Balance your body weight on both hips equally.
• Keep your knees at right angles.
• Use a foot stool and keep your feet flat.
• Adjust the height of your chair to stay close to the desk.
• If you need to sit for long hours, stretch your legs every hour.
• Get up from your seat and take short walks often.
Things not to do for a good sitting posture
• Avoid slouching after the 31st week of pregnancy.
• Do not sit with cross legs as this will put pressure on the pelvis. If you wish to have a less painful labour, follow these easy pelvic tilt exercises that will help you relax during your delivery.
• Do not sit in the same position for more than half an hour.
• Do not sit with your legs hanging as this increases blood flow and may lead to swelling of the legs and feet.
• Avoid rolling about constantly when you’re using a swivel chair.
• While turning the chair, do not twist your waist. Instead, turn your body completely.
• Do not lean forward and bend while sitting.
These tips will help you maintain the right sitting position during the 31st week of pregnancy. You may shift to a different sitting position but only for a short period. For a healthy back, embrace these tips. However, if you have a back pain that persists, seek advice from a medical practitioner.
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!