Don’t get alarmed if during the 24th
week of pregnancy, you are greeted with an unpleasant surprise—menstrual cramps! You can feel them pulling on one or both sides of your abdomen, accompanied by a dragging feeling in the pelvis that reminds you of those cramps you got during your menses.
The harmless causes of menstrual cramps during pregnancy are flatulence, sexual intercourse, multiple births, and round ligament pain. Cramps are a typical reaction to your uterus expanding; however, they can be relieved.
How to ease cramping during pregnancy?
Cramps during pregnancy
don’t leave you with the best feeling in the world; however, you can reduce the discomfort by following these steps:
- If you have been standing for a while, take a break. Lie down, change positions, stretch out, or take a walk.
- Practice those relaxation exercises you’ve been learning at yoga class. They will help in reducing muscle tension.
- Fluid intake is important and so is the right diet. Drink plenty of water and eat fresh fruit and vegetables. These healthy habits will help with constipation, which is another cause of cramping.
- Ensure you go to the toilet when required. A full bowel or bladder may sometimes contribute to uterine cramping.
- Place a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel on the aching area. This can soothe the pain.
- Have a warm bath and try giving your baby bump a gentle massage. Also, ensure you wear loose comfortable clothes to avoid uneasiness.
These steps are effective at relieving cramping when you are pregnant. Cramps during pregnancy are most often not a cause for concern; however, intense cramping may indicate a number of serious problems that may range from urinary tract infection and ectopic pregnancy to preterm labour and miscarriage. In case you are 24 weeks pregnant and experience intense pain that persists, lower abdominal pain that is accompanied by contractions, bleeding discharge with vaginal cramping and dizziness, or cramping that is characterized by shoulder and/or neck pain, consult your health care practitioner for further guidance.
From week by week expert tips on pregnancy calendar to new born baby care tips, we are here to guide you through the amazing journey of early parenthood.
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!