VaccinationVaccination is a process by which antigenic material is injected into human beings to help develop immunity against a particular pathogen in the body. Generally, babies and toddlers have to get a list of vaccinations done at particular intervals and the government often provides a chart of the vaccination plan for every child. Vaccination is an important part of keeping human beings safe from a variety of ailments and diseases. Read all you need to know about Painless Vaccinations – Safety & Side Effects. Many adults also take vaccinations against diseases that are prevalent in their area. Also, before visiting a foreign country; generally, it is advisable and compulsory to take vaccinations that are mentioned in the health advisory for that country. Vaccines have saved millions of lives and also helped many people lead better lives. For example, the polio vaccine has almost eradicated polio from many parts of the world. Vaccination Chart for babies in India
Painful VaccinationIt is important to understand which vaccines are most painful and have side effects. Vaccinations like DTwP which include vaccination against Diphtheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough), and Tetanus are termed as painful vaccinations. This is called a painful vaccination because it causes a slight fever, and after taking this vaccination, children feel pain because of a possibility of an allergic reaction. This may cause persistent crying among children till the pain and allergic reaction subside. Because of this reaction to the vaccination, there is an alternative painless vaccination called DTaP which is sometimes chosen instead of DTwP vaccination. There is a lot of debate between DTaP vs DTwP as to which vaccine is better.
What Is DTaP?The DTaP vaccination is given to children to protect them from three diseases. If people search painless vaccination wiki, there is a lot of information about them online on Wikipedia. This vaccination includes vaccine immunization against Diphtheria, Tetanus and Whooping Cough. Diphtheria is a respiratory disease that can cause breathing and respiratory problems, paralysis and also can be fatal. Tetanus is caused by bacteria and can attack the nervous system and if it is left untreated, can be fatal. Similarly, whooping cough or Pertussis, can cause pneumonia, seizures and other medical problems and also can be fatal. Hence this vaccination is very important to protect children from these dangerous diseases. Hexaxim vaccination also includes DTaP along with other vaccinations for diseases. Generally, this vaccination is given in two stages - the primary immunization and then a booster immunization that can be given later. Some years ago painless vaccination were banned in India because of effectiveness issues but it was relaunched later and are now available in the country.
DTaP Vaccination – Painless VaccinationPainless vaccination is a type of vaccination that does not cause swelling or pain at the site of the injection. This is preferred to DTwP vaccination by some because it has fewer post-vaccination side effects like fever, swelling, and pain as compared to DTwP which also vaccinates against Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus. Know more about Painless Vaccinations – Safety & Side Effects.
Advantages of Painless Vaccinations like DTaP
- The main advantage of DTaP painless vaccination is in the post-vaccination period. As mentioned above immediately after the vaccination takes place, this vaccination does not cause as much pain as compared to DTwP.
- There is no swelling on the site of the injection after the vaccination is given. The DTwP vaccination can cause swelling where the injection is administered. Painless vaccination is good for the baby if there is a higher risk of fever or swelling and other side effects due to other health factors.
- Another advantage is that sometimes the DTwP can cause slight fever post vaccination. The advantage of DTaP which is a painless vaccination, the chance of getting fever post vaccination is very less.
- If a child is prone to allergies and severe side effects of vaccinations, this painless vaccine is opted for instead of DTwP. Painless vaccination side effects are limited in comparison to DTaP. Painless vaccination at 6 weeks costs are much higher than DTwP.
Painless Vaccinations Side Effects
- The main question is - are painless dtp vaccine effective? The effectiveness of this vaccination is a major disadvantage of painless vaccinations. The simple fact is that DTaP is less effective than DTwP to vaccinate against the same diseases. DTaP has lesser immunity stimulating components as compared to DTwP
- For example, DTaP protects a child against Pertussis but that child can carry the disease and infect others as Pertussis enters the vaccinated child’s airways. This means that the child getting the vaccination is immune but can still carry the disease and infect other children. This means that DTwP is safer as it protects the vaccinated and people around them from Pertussis.
- Painful vaccines like DTwP vaccines last longer in the body as compared to DTaP. This means DTaP vaccines require more vaccine shots to maintain the level of immunity as compared to DTwP.
- The cost of painless vaccination for babies in India is high. The painless vaccines are much more expensive than painful vaccinations like DTwP. If there are more times that the vaccination has to be given and so DTaP overall become very effective.
|This is the interesting bit : Research & Science has proved that the mortality rate has drastically decreased after meticulously following the immunization schedule. We have the vital statistics to prove that since the mid 1900’s the human body has developed resistance towards certain diseases that had taken a heavy toll on human lives. So, does this mean that the holistic health of infants these days is far more superior to the earlier days? Brace yourselves. Shockingly, the answer is ‘NO’. Infants these days are susceptible to many more infections & diseases. We are surrounded by various pathogens, harmful virus & bacteria & carcinogens that can attack us either through air, water or through physical contact. The underlying & fundamental equation is to collectively make efforts to keep the society clean & follow the safety measures as suggested by the experts. Depending on your strength of your immunity system & how effectively your antibodies are able to fight off the antigen, you may or may not fall sick. That also decides the effect or degree of your suffering if you are infected. Let’s answer some frequently asked questions about vaccinations that most parents want to know. 1) This is the million dollar question – Is natural immunity better than vaccinated-acquired immunity? This is tricky but true. On some occasions, natural immunity lasts longer than vaccinated-acquired immunity. However, the risks involved with natural infection outweigh the risks caused due to immunization. In simple words, the benefits of immunity acquired through vaccination is far better than natural immunity because it may cause serious risks (though a minority) by affecting the brain or organs. Also in some cases like tetanus, they provide better immunity than natural immunity. Probably, that’s why your doctor recommends at tetanus shot if you have a deep cut or bruise. 2) Can my baby develop a particular disease after we inject a weaker or partial form of the antigen or virus? The answer is “No”. You cannot develop the disease by getting injected with the mild form of the infected pathogen. However, there may be, in some cases, some side effects that may be temporary. But every vaccine is designed keeping the safety and overall health in mind thereby minimalizing the possibility of any lethal damage to anyone. 3) Why are the vaccines not 100% effective? Immunization against a certain disease aims at protecting a particular individual during future exposures to the disease causing antigen. In some cases, the victim’s body is unable to generate an adequate response as a result of which the effectiveness of the immunization is not the same as intended. 4) Why are there so many vaccines? Is it ok to skip few? Many of them are rare or non-existent in most parts of the world. It is believed that prior to immunization, some of these diseases caused critical illness or death in many cases. If the recommended dosage was not given, over a period of few years, there might be an outbreak of these diseases again which were dormant all these decades. The disease will quickly begin to spread all over the world. Hospitals may not have the facilities to treat every infected patient & this may cause disabilities or long term critical illness for generations to come.|
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!