When we decide to lose weight, don’t we want to see the results as quick as possible? It’s only human. But, honestly, it’s not as simple as this. If you do any fad diets and say lose 7 kilos in a month, be prepared to gain it back, or perhaps even more. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is by making small changes and being consistent. The Three D’s Of Weight Loss are your key to the journey. They are:
Determination, Discipline, and Dedication.
First and foremost, you need to stop being in ‘denial’ and come to terms with the fact that the situation needs to change. Once, this is done, it gets better. The hardest bit is admitting to yourself, but once you brave up it gets easier. Remind yourself, that you are doing this for yourself, not for your family, friends or boyfriend. It could be a few vanity pounds or 100 pounds, but, this is YOUR journey. And, it begins with your determination.
Be Determined. Stay Disciplined.
Now, you can be determined, but what good is that determination which works only in theory? You can keep planning workouts, or ‘think’ about switching to healthier ways of cooking. But, that determination is good only when you follow it with a discipline.
Now, this does not mean, that pizzas and pastas are gone forever.
Create a balance, rather than making everything you love go away. Indulging once in awhile is ok, because let’s face it, its life. There will be weddings and other social gatherings.
Switching to healthier lifestyle should not feel like a punishment. Infact it should feel rewarding.
But, with that said, discipline should not be forgotten. One can always, chose a smaller portion of lunch if such situations arise. Or, work out a little extra the next day ;)
The good part with being determined and disciplined, is that the dedication follows right behind. You will find yourself dedicated to your healthier lifestyle once you are doing the other two D’s. It will come naturally to you, without making much extra effort.
Some tips to get started with your healthy lifestyle:
- Don’t wait for a Monday, new month or new year. Now is good enough.
- Keep a diary and pen down all you eat, this helps a lot. If you are not old-school there are zillions of app’s which help you log in your food and help with calories.
- Don’t do crash diets, because they never work.
- Start slow, if that means one healthy meal a day, to begin with, go for it.
- Clean up your snacks. Instead of reaching out for chips, biscuits opt for fox nuts if you want the crunch. There are lot more healthier snacks options-vegetables with hummus, boiled eggs, etc.
- Add raw vegetables with both your main meals.
- Drink lot of water. If you can, start your day with 1 litre of water.
- Switch to wholemeal foods, ie, try to skip maids, white bread, white pasta.
- Learn portion control, this comes handy when eating out, or at a gathering.
- Read labels, when buying food/junk food. You will surprised at how many calories it has.
- Start working out, only when you have somewhat adapted to food habits.
- There are some amazing videos on YouTube, so you do not need to spend money.
- And, remember, it’s about the journey. Not about the destination.
- Keep yourself motivated, by reading success stories.
- Give time, it will not happen overnight. Keep Pushing and you will get there!
Disclaimer: I’m not a dietician; everything I shared is based on my personal experience.
This Blog contributed by Zainab Raazi is a part of The Ultimate #BlogChallenge.
Zainab is SAHM and lifestyle blogger, who blogs about everything under the sun on SlimExpectations.