We bring to you 3 Healthy Snacks For Children To Enjoy This Summer to beat the milk-y blues. It’s never been easy to feed your little one. No mother would deny this fact. Children love anything colourful. Hence, try to incorporate as many colours, sizes & shapes possible. Many parents resort to tasty but not so healthy snacks that their child will love, but, definitely not healthy.
We bring to you healthy (OBVIOUSLY NOT FRIED) recipes that your kid will love. These easy to make recipes are especially for those who have had problems with making their kids drink milk. Well, which parent never has. We definitely are not rooting for maggi or ready to make pasta here. We are talking of very healthy, very very tasty snacking options you would love to adopt for your little one. These fuss-free recipes are a sure hit with most children. Let us know which of these did your little champ enjoy the most.
Fruit Custard - Best Healthy Dessert For Summer
9 out of 10 mothers complain about the never ending milk tantrums of their children. This is a fabulous way of rendering the goodness of milk in the healthiest way possible. Fruit custard has all the essential components of the perfectly balanced snack/dessert that you would like your child to enjoy over an ice-cream or maggi.
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 25 mins
Milk – 300ml
Sugar – 3 tsp
Kesar (Saffron) – 4 strands
Cashews - 4 nos finely chopped
Almonds - 4 nos finely chopped
Pistachio - 4 nos finely chopped
Mango - ½ mango finely chopped
Banana - ½ banana finely chopped
Custard powder – 1 tbsp
- Boil the milk & keep stirring in low flame until the quantity of milk reduces to half. This should take about 20-25 minutes. Take care to stir the milk every 5 minutes to avoid solidifying at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Soak the kesar in 2 tbsp of water for the colour to dissolve.
- Once the milk becomes thick, add sugar & kesar.
- Take a bowl & dissolve custard powder in 3 tbsp water such that there are no lumps formed.
- Add this mixture to the milk & constantly keep stirring for 5 minutes until the custard blends well with the milk & thickens. Make note that once the custard is added you have to keep stirring continuously to avoid browning / burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Let the custard cool at room temperature for half an hour & place it in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Add all the dry fruits & fruits before serving.
- Mouth-watering fruit custard is ready to be relished.
Pin Wheel Sandwich- Best Healthy Snack For Children
You don’t need much energy to convince your child for a yummy sandwich. Ofcourse, never if it is a pin wheel sandwich. But why? Because it is colourful, looks very different & pleasing. And who doesn’t love cheese? Cheese (a by-product of milk which is a power house of protein). Enough reason to call it one of the Healthy Snacks For Children.
Serves – 1
Preparation Time – 15 mins
Sandwich bread – 3 slices
Green pudina chutney – 1 tbsp
Sauce – 1 tbsp
Cheese – ½ cube grated
Carrot - ½ carrot grated
Milk - 4 tbsp
- Cut the sides of the sandwich bread from all four sides.
- Soak the bread slices in milk for just 3 seconds just enough to dampen it slightly.
- Roll the bread (with a rolling pin) separately such that it becomes thin (reduces to half the thickness).
- Take an aluminium foil & place it on a flat surface.
- Apply Sauce on one slice & spread a layer of grated carrot on the slice.
- On the second slice, apply some butter evenly & spread a layer of grated cheese. Place this slice on top of the first one.
- Take the third slice. Apply green pudina-coriander chutney evenly. Place the bread on top of the other two slices.
- Now gently roll (by folding inwardly) all the three slices of bread together to form a cylindrical shape. Wrap the aluminium foil around it as you fold the slices of the bread.
- Gently press from all the sides such that the sandwich is tightly packed.
- Now refrigerate for about half an hour.
- While serving, remove from the refrigerator & remove the aluminium foil wrap.
- Cut the sandwich into 3 or 4 smaller pieces which are easy to eat.
- Yummylicious pin wheel sandwich is ready.
Strawberry Banana Milk-Shake Recipe
As straight forward as it can get, you can never go wrong with a milk shake. It is power packed with protein & all the essential vitamins & minerals packed in your fruits, much more than simply Healthy Snacks For Our Children. Milkshakes are the best when consumed fresh WITHOUT SUGAR. It is said that added sugars get to blood stream much faster than in the solid foods consumed. Fruits are naturally sweet; hence the necessity of adding sugar gets knocked off. However, if your child refuses to drink without sugar, you can opt to replace it with honey.
Serves – 2
Preparation Time – 5 minutes (Can we ask for more)
Milk - 150 ml (1 cup)
Strawberry - 4 nos
Banana - ½ banana
- Boil the milk. Cool it at room temperature & refrigerate it for half an hour.
- Dice both the fruits & churn it in the mixer.
- Add half the quantity of milk to avoid over-flowing of milk from the mixer.
- Once the milk blends well with the fruits, add the remaining milk & churn again.
- Thanda-thanda cool-cool & delicious milk shake is ready to be gulped down.
Note : Since strawberry is a seasonal fruit, you can also use mango (1/2 mango) or de-seeded dates (6 nos) or chickoo (1 nos).
You may also want to read Best Lunch Box Ideas & Recipes For Kids.
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!