The onset of monsoon brings with it a menace dreaded by all- mosquitoes. And you cannot do without a effective mosquito repellent. We bring to you the Best Mosquito Repellents in India 2020. Mosquitoes need a conducive atmosphere to breed. Swamps, stagnant water, standing fresh water, clogged rain gutters and plastic wading pools – all of them support mosquito breeding.
Also read - Best Baby Laundry Detergents In India
Most of the households are cautious and try different methods to keep the mosquitoes away. Yet, there is a particular phase of the year – the current phase – which makes all our attempts void. Therefore, to our rescue there are products available in the market which helps us fight this menace and keep the mosquitoes at bay.
- How to choose a mosquito repellent?
- Best Mosquito Repellents In India 2020
- Bug Off Body Spray - Best Insect Repellent In India
- MotherSparsh Anti-Insect Fabric Roll-on - Best Mosquito Repellents In India 2020
- MamaEarth Mosquito Repellent Spray - Best Natural Insect Repellent Spray In India
- Mother Sparsh Natural Insect Repellent - Best Mosquito Repellent Spray In India
- Godrej – GoodKnight Mosquito Repellents - Best Insect Repellent Range In India
- The Moms Co. Natural Mosquito Repellent
- FabIndia Mosquito Repellent Spray
- Dabur Odomos Mosquito Repellents
- The Best After Bite Creams
- Mother Sparsh After Bite Turmeric Balm
- MamaEarth After Bite Roll On
How to choose a mosquito repellent?
A mosquito repellent comes in various forms – cream, fabric roll on, or fabric patches too. The creams were the first available remedy to have been introduced in the market. In those days, Odomos and Good Knight Mosquito Repellent creams became a household name. Slowly with the advent of fabric roll on and fabric patches, much to the joy of both the mothers and the kids, things have become much easier and less messier.
Also read - Best Baby Powders In India
Best Mosquito Repellents In India 2020
Bug Off Body Spray - Best Insect Repellent In India
Bug Off is a novel product which contains DEET alongwith a combination of other natural ingredients. It is a mosquito and insect repellent body spray which offers protection and suitable for both indoors as well as outdoors. It is suitable for kids above 2 months and adults too. The application part could be directly on the skin or even on the clothes too. The time limit of effectiveness is a maximum of 8 hours. Formulated with DEET (composition % is 20%), Vitamin E and olive oil, this makes for a good option for a mosquito repellent.
Price - Rs.200 for 100ml
Also read - Best Diaper Rash Cream In India
MotherSparsh Anti-Insect Fabric Roll-on - Best Mosquito Repellents In India 2020
Mother Sparsh Anti-insect Fabric roll- on is all natural and DEET free Herbal Roll-on which is formulated with the combination of best essential oils. The presence of lemon grass oil and neem oil creates a protective shield against mosquitoes, fleas and ants, etc. To ensure all-round protection to your family, this Ayurvedic Repellent provides herbal armor for a healthy and happy life of your baby.You need to apply only 4-dots of this All Natural Insect fabric Roll-on on the clothes.
Highlights of MotherSparsh Fabric Roll-on
- Natural Ingredients: Citronella, Eucalyptus, camphor and lemon grass oil are all plant-derived and thus, totally safe for young kids as well as adults.
- DEET free- the product claims to be completely void of synthetic chemicals, especially DEET, which is a chemical ingredient.
- Roll-on spray – it comes in the form of roll-on spray, thus making it convenient to use and store too.
- Provides complete protection from mosquitoes, insects, flea and pests
Benefits of MotherSparsh Fabric Roll-on
- It helps in keeping the mosquitoes at bay for upto 5-6 hours.
- Spray on baby’s clothes, blankets, play area, room
- Suitable for indoor as well as outdoor use
- It has a mild aroma of herbs and is soothing for baby’s skin as well as for kids and adults
- Easy to use as it has handly rolling bottle
- Suitable for day time as well as night time protection
Directions to use:
- Apply 4 dots of spray on baby’s clothes, pram, blanket
- Avoid direct application on the skin
Price - Rs.249 for 100ml
Also read - Best Massage Baby Oils In India
MamaEarth Mosquito Repellent Spray - Best Natural Insect Repellent Spray In India
MamaEarth’s products are chemical & toxin-free, thus making it very safe and suitable for young babies too. The natural ingredients make sure that there are no side-effects on the skin, making it completely safe for all skin types. It is DEET free and is made with a list of essential oils, each of them rich in anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and bactericidal properties. To name a few of them – castor, soybean, eucalyptus and citronella oils. Oils such as rosemary, peppermint and lemongrass form a major part of the ingredients, making it all-natural as they are all plant-derived. This spray helps in soothing irritated skin, and also repels pests, ticks, mosquitoes and insects.
Price - Rs.299 for 100ml
Also read - Best Baby Soaps In India
Mother Sparsh Natural Insect Repellent - Best Mosquito Repellent Spray In India
Adding to the range of Insect Repellents, this one is available in spray format. Body spray makes it convenient to spray on the exposed parts of the body. It is made of 100% natural oils extracted from plants. Mother Sparsh believes in Mother Nature, and hence all it’s products are free from any synthetic materials, especially DEET.
Highlights of Mother Sparsh Natural Insect Repellent
- It contains the goodness of all essential oils like lemongrass, eucalyptus, camphor and citronella
- Completely free from DEET and any such synthetic materials
- Provides protection from ants, mosquitoes, flea and insects
- Anytime and anywhere protection
- Could be used indoors as well as outdoors
Most loved features of this product:
- Easy to use spray bottle and a convenient travel option
- Suitable for all age groups
- Could be sprayed on exposed body parts, excepting eyes, ears, mouth and nose
- Provides 5 hour protection
- Spray in rooms and play area too
- Provides complete protection from mosquitoes, ants and fleas.
Price Rs.250 for 100ml.
Godrej – GoodKnight Mosquito Repellents - Best Insect Repellent Range In India
GoodKnight is an age-old household name and it’s popularity has never gone till date. It’s effective formula provides safeguard against mosquitoes, ticks and fleas. The brand offers 3 variants – fabric roll on, cream and patches. Goodknight Fabric Roll-on is made of 100% Natural ingredients – namely citronella and eucalyptus oils. Just by applying 4 dots on the specified body parts, your safety is assured. Very effective for outdoor use. It provides protection for a whopping 8 hours. The other variant, namely cream is also formulated with an important ingredient – aloe vera which helps in soothing the baby’s skin apart from the basic advantage of being non-sticky in nature and mildly fragrant. GoodKnight patches are also effective in providing outdoor protection to your kids. It is apt for babies of 2 months and above
The Moms Co. Natural Mosquito Repellent
Formulated with the proven formula of 5 essential oils – cedarwood, citronella, eucalyptus, lemongrass and soya. It helps in keeping away mosquitoes, thus offering protection against malaria, chikungunya and dengue. It claims to be completely DEET free and offers both indoor as well as outdoor protection. Safe for babies of 6 months and plus, this sure is a gentle and safe option for your protection. It offers protection upto 4 hours after application.
Price - Rs.348 for 100ml
FabIndia Mosquito Repellent Spray
The proven formula of lemongrass oil, citronella oil and coconut oil makes it an effective formula for protection against mosquitoes causing dengue and malaria. All these ingredients are known for soothing the skin and preventing any rashes or side-effects. Thus, completely safe for babies of 6 months and age with an overall protection for 8 hours.
Price - Rs.450 for 100ml
Dabur Odomos Mosquito Repellents
Dabur is one of the most trusted Indian brands, known for its quality and genuiness. Odomos has a variety of options to choose from – mosquito cream, spray, fabric roll on, fabric patches, gel, lotion and the most popular wrist bands. Almost all of its products contain essential oils, aloe vera, almond oil and Vitamin E which ensures complete protection against mosquito bites.
How to keep our surroundings clean:
Prevention is better than cure. A few simple steps which help us in making our surroundings void of mosquito breeding grounds:
- Keep tulsi at home: the benefit of a simple tulsi plant is said to be strong. It discourages the growth of larva and works as a natural mosquito repellent.
- Wire meshes: they are very helpful in keeping the mosquitoes from entering.
- Spray garlic water: Garlic is proven to be a very strong mosquito repellent. Crush a few pieces of garlic and boil it in water. Spray this water in the house and you will see the benefits for yourself.
- Camphor: Burning camphor is said to ward off the mosquitoes
- Lemon & cloves: slice the lemon into two halves and place 3-4 cloves in it. Placing this in each room helps to keep the mosquitoes away.
How to treat a mosquito bite?
A mosquito bite could be quite dangerous, as some of them have the potent to spread diseases like filarial, malaria, dengue and chikungunya. Let us see how a mosquito bite should be treated.
Lime juice - Best Home Remedy To Cure Mosquito Bite
Lemons are said to be rich in anti-inflammatory and anaesthetic properties. Slice a lemon and rub it on the affected area.
Mint leaves - How To Cure Mosquito Bites
Crush some mint leaves and apply them on the affected area to provide relief from burning and itching.
Aloe Vera - Natural Way To Cure Mosquito Bites
It acts as a natural antiseptic. It reduces swelling and itching caused due to bite.
Table salt - How To Cure Insect Bites Using Home Remedies
Table salt is said to be the simplest way to keep the mosquitoes away. Salt water application is said to reduce inflammation.
Honey - Best Home-Made Mosquito Repellent In India 2020
Honey is rich in anti-bacterial properties, thus helps in containing the infection caused by the wound.
The Best After Bite Creams
Mother Sparsh After Bite Turmeric Balm
Turmeric has a long history of medicinal use in South Asia. Turmeric has been found to deliver astounding benefits in providing a natural remedy for insect bites, it not only helps in doing away with the effects of insect venom, but it also prevents inflammation and rash caused by bug stings. The Mother Sparsh After Bite Turmeric Balm is full of natural extracts like turmeric, sarso, jaitoon and mint leaves. This all natural herbally formulated balm is ideal for healing any kind of mosquito bumps. Being devised from Ayurvedic medicine, it is a completely irritation-free and redness-free formula to ensure that your baby’s skin is healthy and supple.
Features of the Balm:
- Made of 100% natural product extracts making it a totally safe option for babies
- It suits all skin types and is said to treat skin disorders
- It is rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties, so very effective in treating irritation and rashes
- It helps to prevent diseases like eczema, skin irritations, rashes and acne.
Directions to use:
- It is to be applied 3-4 times during the day on the affected area
- The results could be seen within 2 days
- Suitable for day and night use
MamaEarth After Bite Roll On
It provides quick relief from rashes and itching due to mosquito/insect bites. Added to this it also helps in reducing soreness and redness, thus helping in healing process. It is completely free of DEET, mineral oil, alcohol, synthetic perfumes, artificial preservatives.
What makes an excellent mosquito repellent?
With the Mosquito repellent manufacturing industry going really big, it is important to make the right choice with regard to a mosquito repellent. Things to look out for:
- Natural ingredients – Always look out for natural ingredients as the main constituents in the making. For example, turmeric, pudina, neem oil, eucalyptus oil, to name a few.
- Absence of DEET – N – Diethyl –meta-toluamide , is the common ingredient in insect repellents.
- Amount of concentration – the product mentions the amount of time the product is effective, therefore, easy to make a choice.
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!