“Hey you are glowing Kanchan. What’s the secret?” – Asked Priya. Little did Priya know that Kanchan was about 3 months pregnant. Pregnancy & glowing skin - what is the relation? It may not be uncommon to see mothers fairer prior to conceiving her first child. A lot of people say that when you are happy & well-rested your mind and body are more relaxed and hence you look beautiful. Afterall, your face is a reflection of your feelings & emotions.
When you are happy inside, you look happy outside. Scientifically, this is caused due to the sudden rush of hormones in your body. As your body is preparing itself to welcome the coming of a new life, a host of changes take place biologically. If you are experiencing the glow during your pregnancy, feel blessed & enjoy it while it lasts.
While some to-be mommies look fairer, some look dull. This maybe caused due to fatigue & breathlessness that increases with the second trimester. As the body is forced to pump in more oxygen to supply oxygen to the foetus, there is more pressure on the body to meet the growing needs of the life inside.
For those women who are worried about looking dull & tired, don’t fret. This is a common sign of pregnancy. You can adopt some of these home remedies which maynot alter the biological changes , but definitely will help you eradicate the dullness of skin. These top 5 home-remedies are readily available in your kitchen & are absolutely safe for application since they are natural.
Best Home Remedies For A Glowing Skin
- Mix 1 tbsp gram flour (kadalai maavu/ besan) with 1.5tbsp fresh curd. You can also add a pinch of kasturi manjal (haldi). Apply on your face & let it dry for 20 minutes. Wash with warm water. This can do wonders for under eye dark circles & lightening of dark spots.
- Soak 1 tbsp coarsely grounded oats with 2 tbsp hot milk along with 1 tsp honey. This mixture helps in exfoliating the skin while milk & honey makes the skin soft & supple.
- Tomato puree (grated tomato) applied on the face superficially removes excessive oil & dead cells. It brings the freshness to the skin & makes it look lighter & fairer.
- Sandalwood paste is an age old tradition that has been passed on by our ancestors. We are not talking of the sandalwood tablets that are readily available in the market. We are referring to the original sandalwood bark that smoothens the skin & regular application makes the skin fairer as the pores eradicate the dirt which is accumulated in the epidermis.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is a “Super plant” which is extensively used in treatments of various diseases & allergies. It does wonders on the skin making it spotless & healthier.
We spoke about how to tackle dull skin. What about those who are showered with never-ending compliments of glowing like never before? Well, enjoy all the limelight. Afterall, which woman doesn’t love compliments. Coming back to square one – Why does the skin glow? Reasons are plenty. It depends on one’s body type. Some of them are listed below –
Why Does A Pregnant Woman's Skin Glow?
Healthy Diet For Glowing Skin
When you are pregnant, you have a responsibility to take care of the “God’s gift” inside your womb. Most women resort to a healthier lifestyle that encompasses a healthy diet which is rich in protein, omega-3, energy & all the essential vitamins & minerals that are a pre-requisite for the healthy development of the child. And all this along with gallons of water to prevent you from dehydration. Extra water helps you to flush out the toxins in your body & clear the pores in your skin, thereby eradicating the probability of accumulation of dirt in oily skin or dullness in dry skin. Preventing intake of fried & sugar-loaded foods can also cause acne in many women.
Hormonal Influx During Pregnancy
Along with tremendous physiological changes, a woman also experiences intense hormonal changes. Some hormones can cause the sebatious glands to secrete more oil which makes your skin glow. Too much oil secretion can be countered with a regular application face-wash or oil-free cleanser to remove the excessive oil from your face.
Physical Activity During Pregnancy
Every obstetrician will recommend you to indulge yourself in some form of physical activity to promote blood circulation & keep gestational diabetes, thyroid, obesity & body pain (including back pain, leg pain & head ache) at bay. It is proved that blood circulation increases by about 50% during pregnancy making you look brighter.Most women prefer to walk for 45-60 mins every day to transfer the goodness of inhaling fresh air(oxygen) to her baby. Blood circulation is quintessential for a healthy skin. And thus, it is a blessing in disguise.
On the contrary, some mothers experience acne, pigmentation, moles on the neck, patches or darker nipples. Do not fret. Nothing is permanent. In most cases, these disappear just in few weeks after delivery. A worried mind will only upset you emotionally & make you look duller. So, enjoy your pregnancy & adopt a healthy lifestyle with a good skin care regimen. Time & efforts invested your health will never go in vain. Ultimately, you will look beautiful at 24 as well as 42. :)
It May Also Interest You To Read -
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!