Quinoa Upma is one of the best possible breakfast options for your kids. Want to know why? Upma is a traditional South-Indian dish that is very versatile in terms of how it can be made, garnished or served. Wonder how to pronounce it? It is called KEEN-wah. So go ahead & read the Quinoa Upma Recipe.
I remember meeting a super-fit mother at a friend’s wedding who had stayed in Japan for 3 years with her husband since he had on off-site project to manage. During my conversation with her, I realized how small things can make a difference to our infant’s health. Doctors in Japan VERY STRONGLY RECOMMEND BREAST FEEDING FOR CHILDREN & SUGGEST AVOIDING THE USAGE OF SUGAR & SALT FOR ATLEAST 1 YEAR. She also mentioned that she prefers to give Quinoa Upma to her children twice a week. Quinoa is fairly new to the normal Indian house-hold. It was something I’d never tried before. But, I asked her for the recipe & gave it a shot anyway. And boy, my daughter loved it 🙂
Recipe Of Quinoa Upma
Time Required : 20 mins
Serves : 3-4
Quinoa Upma Ingredients
Quinoa – 1 cup (150ml)
Onion, finely chopped – 1 small
Carrot, finely chopped – 1 small
Peas – 2 tbsp
Beans, finely chopped – 5 -6 nos
Potato, finely chopped – 1 small
Green Chilles, slit into half – 2 nos
Raw Groundnut – 1 tbsp
Jeera – 1 tbsp
Salt – To taste
Water – 2.5 cups
Coriander leaves, finely chopped – 1 tbsp
Olive oil/ Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Take the quinoa in a saucepan and add water. Bring to low flame for 10 minutes till the quinoa till the quinoa is cooked completely.
- Meanwhile in a kadai, pour some ghee or olive oil, jeera, raw groundnut and onions. Saute it till it turns pinkish brown. Add the remaining chopped vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, potato) along with the green chillies.
- Add some water and simmer for ten minutes until the veggies soften. Add salt as required.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add quinoa and mix well. Bring to low flame & allow the mixture to blend well with quinoa.
- Add the coriander leaves & upma is ready to be served.
- Loaded with the goodness of colourful veggies, Upma is best served with coconut chutney.
Quinoa Health Benefits
Want to know why is Quinoa called “The Superfood Of The Future”?
- It contains double the fibre content than most other grains