Symptoms of Common Cold & CoughSome of the common symptoms of Common cold & Cough are -
- Running nose, blocked nose or stuffy nose
- Constantly crying
- Sore throat or pain
- Head ache or body rash
- Loss of appetite
- Please note that you should not give any oral medication to infants below 6 months. The suggested remedies listed below are for children above 6 months.
- Dress your child only in 100% cotton wear, preferably 2-3 layers to keep your infant warm.
Best Home Remedies For Cough And Cold
BreastFeeding - Best Remedy To Cure Cold & Cough In InfantsWe have alraedy read the Benefits of BreastFeeding - as it has all the antibodies to fight all the virus & bacteria. Cuddle with your baby and breastfeed your child more often than usual to provide relief from the discomfort caused due to cold & congestion. Small regular intervals is better than force-feeding your child. Loss of appetite is very common, so do not fret if your child's intake reduces.
- Honey- Kids love the taste of this miracle item and otherwise also “Honey” acts as the perfect cough and cold medicine. Mix one tbsp spoon of honey with lukewarm water and that should do the job. However, make sure not to heat honey as doing that reduces its antibacterial properties. Some children below 1year, may develop a rare disease called "Infant Botulism" if they are allergic to honey. You, as a parent, should be cognizant of any changes after giving honey and if you notice any side effects, immediately consult the doctor & stop giving honey.
- Steam along with herbal vapours- In a pot of water boil some Eucalyptus oil, Tulsi tea or essential oils. Once you see the vapours rising let your child inhale them. This Indian home remedy for cold and blocked nose provides immediate relief from a blocked nose and chest congestion. You can do this at least 2-3 times a day for 10-15 minutes depending on the condition of the child. Steaming can also be done using Vicks Baby Rub to provide discomfort and promote good sleep. You can turn on the hot water tap in your bathroom and keep the door closed and sit with your child for 15minutes to ensure the warmth & vapours the restroom can open up blocked airways.
- Ghee and black pepper- Quite an old natural home remedy for cough, this one is going to be liked by your child. Heat some ghee and add some black powder to it. Add some sugar to it so that the child can lick it without much fuss. Heat ghee with grated "Garlic" and apply on your toddler's neck, nose, back, feet & chest.
- Hot tea- Although kids are not so keen on drinking tea, if you flavour it well, hot hearbal tea effective in treating their illness. You can give them Chamomile and Green tea as they have the right amount of antioxidants to do so. If your kid is big enough even Ginger tea for cough can be effective.
- Garlic soup- The oil present in garlic helps to open up the respiratory passage and provide instant relief to your child. Boil three to six cloves of garlic in a bowl of water. As an ideal toddler cold and flu remedy make your child drink this and he is sure to get quick relief. You can also add salt and black pepper for taste.
- Ginger- You can make your child eat raw ginger but remember the taste can be a little harsh, while it is the best medicine for sore throat. Take 10 grams of ginger and boil it in a cup of water. Help your child drink this liquid at least 3 times a day for instant relief and hence among the Best Home Remedies For Cough And Cold.
- Cinnamon- As a natural healing agent Cinnamon is extremely effective as a common cold treatment. Boil some Cinnamon powder in a glass of water and mix some honey and black pepper in it. Make your child drink it at regular intervals and you would be pleased to see the difference.
- Chicken Broth or soup- If you are open to non- vegetarian dishes then chicken soup is your perfect children’s cold medicine as it gives you the benefit of warmth and nutrition. Having it twice a day can thin out the mucus and even provide your child with the energy his body needs and is one of the best remedies for a dry cough.
- Vitamin C- Wondering what’s good for a cough? Highly effective Vitamin C can reduce the mucus and inflammation in the kid’s nose. You can either give him Vitamin C in tablet form or through vegetables like oranges, cauliflower, broccoli, lime, strawberries, peaches and tomatoes etc.
- Salt water gargle- This is the best way to treat a cold! This can be a little tough as kids sometimes do not understand how to do it. Mix some salt in warm water and stand beside your child, and demonstrate the correct procedure. Doing so can also reduce the bacteria present in the child’s throat.
- Carom seeds- Also known as "Ajwain" in Hindi. Carom seeds relieve your child of chest congestion in children. Boil the seeds in water and add some tulsi leaves as well. Effective in various common cold stages this would help your child feel relaxed and open his nasal chamber. For infants below 6 months, you can heat Carom seeds in a pan and wrap them in a soft cotton cloth. Gently, rub it on your child's feet, neck, back and chest. It has great antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Turmeric Milk- Similar to carom seeds, turmeric also has fantatsic anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties - it is a wonder herb & is widely used in the Indian medicine industry. As soon as you see Flu symptoms in kids you can give them Turmeric milk which provides huge relief from running nose. In warm milk mix some Turmeric powder and give it to the child before he sleeps every night to provide immediate respite. You can also apply turmeric paste(mixed with warm water) on your child's nose & leave it overnight to loosen mucus & aid better sleep.
- Mustard oil massage- A massage on the chest helps in opening up the chest area. However, this treatment is better alternative medication for cold in infants. Mix some mustard oil and garlic and in soft movements massage the same on your child’s chest.
- Honey and Ginger with Neem – Mash some neem leaves with Ginger and make a paste out of it for quick relief from cough & cold. Take out the juice and add honey to it. Make your child consume this mixture and before you know the cold would be gone in few days.
- Camphor- If your child gets to inhale the vapours of 10-12 pieces of Camphor his nose would be opened within no time. You can also mix powdered camphor with coconut oil and rub it on his chest. This would also prove helpful in removing cold symptoms. It is also used in herbal medicines to cure cold.
- Head elevation- In case you see child cold symptoms, ensure that your child sleeps well. After giving any of the above treatments make him lie down with his head elevated. This would slowly reduce the nasal congestion and help him breathe freely.
- Saline drops- Nasal saline drops are recommended by all paediatricians world wide. Make sure to put 2-3 drops of the same and that would help you get rid of the blocked nose andloosen mucus.
- Kadha/Kasayam- Children above 1 year can be given Kadha as it has every "Super Ingredient" tocure your child's cold and cough instantly. Add Carom seeds, Basil, Ginger, Clove, Black Pepper, black salt, Jaggery, Tulsi and Cinnamon and boil it in water. Once the mixture becomes half of its original quantity give it to your child at least two times a day – Definitely one of the Best Home Remedies For Cough And Cold.
- Onion- Sieve some onion juice and add some honey to it. Allow sometime for it to blend completely. You can give it to your child 2-3 times in a day. Shallot onions are more effective than the big regular ones.
- Liquid intake- It is crucial that you do not reduce the water intake of the child. Give him enough warm liquids to calm his throat and even decongest his nose. Especially during early morning and late night warm liquids given can reduce cold symptoms.
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!