Garlic is a species in the onion genus, Allium and is native to Central Asia. It is a strong-smelling and a pungent tasting herb. The medicinal properties of Garlic had been recognized by man more than 3000 years ago; and till date it has not lost it’s richness in the nutrient factor as well as medicinal factor. Each garlic bulb is collectively made up of garlic cloves – ranging from 10-18 numbers; wherein each clove is a powerhouse of flavor as well as medicinal properties. It is the compound, Allicin, in garlic, be it in crushed, fresh or chewed garlic that is the main nutrition component in Garlic. There are also odourless garlic which are in dried form available in the market; but the allicin content in them might be only moderate. There are several Health Benefits Of Garlic that we will discover in this blog!
You Might Also Be Interested In Health Benefits Of Makhana – Nutrition & Side Effects
- Why Should We Consume Garlic?
- Aids In Blood Purification - Health Benefits Of Garlic
- Anti-bacterial And Anti-Parasitic - Health Benefits Of Garlic
- Anti-Oxidant And Anti-Inflammatory - Advantages Of Consuming Garlic
- Prevents Heavy Metal Poisoning
- Lowers The Risk Of Cancer -
- Facilitates Easy Digestion - Health Benefits Of Garlic
Boost To Healthy Skin And Hair -
arlic benefits for skin
- Garlic Can Combat Common Cold And Sickness - Health Benefits Of Garlic To Fight Common Illness
- Garlic Helps In Keeping Your Blood Pressure In Limits - Health Benefits Of Garlic For Women
- Garlic Helps In Maintaining A Healthy Heart - Benefits Of Eating Raw Garlic in empty stomach
- Provides Instant Relief From Wounds - How To Use Garlic To Tend To Wounds
- Prevention Of Alzheimer’s Disease And Dementia - Health Benefits Of Consuming Garlic
- Garlic Helps In Improving Bone Health - Health Benefits Of Garlic
- Aids In Controlling Asthma - Medicinal Uses Of Garlic
- Increases Libido Levels - Garlic Benefits For Men
- Aids In Eye Care - Health Benefits Of Garlic For The Eye
- Relief From Ear Aches And Headaches - Health Benefits Of Garlic For Acne Scars
- Garlic Could Be Used To Treat Acne - Health Benefits Of Garlic For Skin
- Lesser Known Facts About Garlic - Health Benefits Of Japanese Garlic
- Raw Garlic vs Cooked Garlic
- Nutrition In Raw Garlic - Health Benefits Of Eating Raw Garlic
- Nutrition In Cooked Garlic - Nutritional Value Of Garlic
- Garlic – Is It Beneficial To Pregnant ladies?
- Side Effects Of Garlic During Pregnancy - Side Effects Of Garlic For Women
- Side Effects Of Garlic - Dangers Of Eating Raw Garlic
Why Should We Consume Garlic?
Garlic is a common kitchen ingredient in kitchens across the world; especially Central Asia. It adds flavor to your sauces, squashes, pizza toppings, pesto salads, pastas as well as curries and pickles. To brief it up, the compound Allicin present in Garlic is proven to deliver multi-benefits.
There are various health benefits of garlic which are explained in detail below:-
Aids In Blood Purification - Health Benefits Of Garlic
Garlic containing sulfur compounds have proven to purify your blood from inside and help in keeping your skin free from acne; thereby facilitating a radiant and healthy glow on your skin. It stimulates your liver to produce detoxification enzymes to filter toxins out of your blood stream making it one of the Health Benefits Of Garlic.
Anti-bacterial And Anti-Parasitic - Health Benefits Of Garlic
Garlic is a broad spectrum antibiotic, killing a wide variety of bacteria. It is one of the best components to treat fungal, parasitic and bacterial infections since centuries; thus proving that Garlic in indeed Nature’s gift to man. Garlic extracts also help treat Heliobacter pylori infection, tick bites, jock itch,athlete’s foot and eliminate tapeworm and ringworm.
Anti-Oxidant And Anti-Inflammatory - Advantages Of Consuming Garlic
Garlic is rich in anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties; thus making it an effective tool to fight against neurodegenerative diseases which . Various preparations of garlic, mainly aged garlic extract , have been shown to have promising antioxidant potential.
Prevents Heavy Metal Poisoning
Garlic is supposed to reduce the lead level concentrations in the blood; thereby preventing the signs of toxicity such as headaches and blood pressure. The sulfur compounds in this herb help in the prevention of organ damage caused by heavy metals. It also prevents the signs of toxicity such as headaches and blood pressure. Sulfur also aids in better absorption of iron and zinc in the blood.
Lowers The Risk Of Cancer -
People who eat raw garlic at least twice a week have a 44% lower risk of developing lung cancer. Organo-sulfur compounds found in garlic have the ability to destroy the cells in glioblastomas, a type of deadly brain tumour. Garlic has proven results to decrease the risk of contracting lung cancer. It aids in reducing the production of carcinogenic compounds, and also reduces the occurrence of tumors associated with breast cancer.
Also Read Is Cancer A Disease Or A Deficiency?
Facilitates Easy Digestion - Health Benefits Of Garlic
This phenomenal property of Garlic makes it a must have in your every day diet. Garlic helps you clear almost all the digestion problems like dysentery, diarrhea, colitis and gastric problems. It destroys the harmful bacteria without affecting the good bacteria; thus facilitating easy, smooth digestion and relieve stomach gas. Even inflammation or irritation of the gastric canal may be reduced using this herb.
Boost To Healthy Skin And Hair -
arlic benefits for skin
Well, the wonders of onion juice on our hair is not hidden. It’s close brother – garlic also has taken the same properties of it’s foster brother. Garlic has anti-microbial properties that help kill germs and bacteria which are responsible for the damage to scalp, hair loss and restricted hair growth. So is you wish to maintain that lovely mane of yours – then the answer lies in how garlic benefits for skin. Raw garlic paste or raw garlic juice application stimulates hair growth as it is rich in Vitamin C and collagen.
Garlic Can Combat Common Cold And Sickness - Health Benefits Of Garlic To Fight Common Illness
Garlic supplements are a proven weapon to cure common cold and sickness. A daily garlic supplement reduces the number of colds by 63% when compared to medicinal treatments. A high dose of aged garlic extract (2.56 grams per day) reduces the number of days sick with cold or flu by 61%.
Garlic Helps In Keeping Your Blood Pressure In Limits - Health Benefits Of Garlic For Women
Hypertension, in other words, high blood pressure is said to be one of the main reasons for cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and strokes. The recommended dosage would be atleast 4-6 cloves of raw garlic everyday. 600–1,500 mg of aged garlic extract was just as effective as the drug Atenolol at reducing blood pressure. In some cases it is proven that garlic supplements may be as effective as regular medications.
Garlic Helps In Maintaining A Healthy Heart - Benefits Of Eating Raw Garlic in empty stomach
Dr. Sanjay K Banerjee, Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences published a report in the Nutrition Journal that supports the proposal that garlic consumption has a significant cardioprotective effect, which includes both animal and human studies. Benefits Of Eating Raw Garlic in empty stomach is essential because the sulphur-containing compound Allicin tends to lose its medicinal properties when garlic is cooked whole. It is necessary to consume garlic raw or semi-cooked to derive any of its benefits.
Provides Instant Relief From Wounds - How To Use Garlic To Tend To Wounds
It is proven that applying raw garlic on wounds is an instant cure for the open wounds, especially. Grate 15 or so cloves of garlic and add a few drops of water to make it a paste. Smear the garlic paste on a sterile gauze and carefully apply on the external wound. Change the gauze after two days and you will see that the infection has reduced.
Prevention Of Alzheimer’s Disease And Dementia - Health Benefits Of Consuming Garlic
High doses of garlic supplements have been shown to increase antioxidant enzymes in humans as well as help in battling chronic diseases in ageing people like Alzheimer’s and Dementia. A compound in garlic thought to be responsible for the bulbs’ potent odor is the compound that may help prevent age-related memory problems by way of your gut bacteria.
Garlic Helps In Improving Bone Health - Health Benefits Of Garlic
Osteoarthritis is a common condition in women which has a major impact on their bone health. It is usually caused due to estrogen deficiency. One study in menopausal women found that a daily dose of dry garlic extract (equal to 2 grams of raw garlic) significantly decreased a marker of estrogen deficiency. They also minimize bone loss and improve overall bone health.
Aids In Controlling Asthma - Medicinal Uses Of Garlic
One of garlic’s medicinal properties is it helps in controlling as well as reducing asthma; and also other symptoms related to other respiratory ailments. The wonder nutrient being Vitamin C – which helps to soothe and facilitate free passage of air in asthma sufferers. Boiled garlic cloves are effective in treating asthma. Each night before going to sleep, drinking a glass of milk with 3 boiled cloves of this herb can bring subsequent relief for patients with asthma. Additionally, they can also be used to treat lung infections like cystic fibrosis.
Increases Libido Levels - Garlic Benefits For Men
Libido is a person’s overall sexual drive or desire for sexual activity. This herb has substantial aphrodisiac properties as an effective rejuvenator of sex. It increases libido levels in both men and women. People who tend to overindulge in sexual activities should consciously consume garlic benefits for men is to protect themselves from nervous fatigue.
Must Read Best Yoga Poses for Kids
Aids In Eye Care - Health Benefits Of Garlic For The Eye
The sulfur compounds present in Garlic are rich in Vitamin C, which is vital for good eyesight, being the main nutrient apart from selenium, quercetin. These help in treating eye infections and eye inflammations.
Relief From Ear Aches And Headaches - Health Benefits Of Garlic For Acne Scars
Yes, you got it right. The medicinal properties of garlic aid in getting relief from headaches and ear aches. This herb due to its antiviral, antifungal, and antibiotic properties is commonly used for giving relief from earaches and ear infections. Just put a few drops of garlic oil on a cotton ball, or just place a peeled clove of garlic in the outer ear – and then see the magic. Within the next 30 minutes, your ache would have disappeared into thin air!!
Garlic Could Be Used To Treat Acne - Health Benefits Of Garlic For Skin
Garlic, along with other ingredients like honey, cream, and turmeric, can be used to treat acne scars and prevent the onset of acne. This herb is an effective skin cleanser and an antibiotic substance that helps treat many skin conditions. These include skin rashes, psoriasis, cold sores, and blisters. Additionally, it also helps in cell synthesis, protecting against UV rays, and in delaying aging. There are sections of people who are ardent admirers of this wonderful herb and have devised various ways of preparation to treat Acne.
- raw garlic juice
- cooked garlic juice
- dehydrated garlic powder
- aged garlic extract
Lesser Known Facts About Garlic - Health Benefits Of Japanese Garlic
Garlic is indeed a very common sight in every kitchen hold; yet there are a few facts which many of us might not be aware of; such as-
- Scientists have discovered with proven results that the sulfur compounds (Allicin) that are formed when a garlic clove is cut, crushed or chewed yields maximum benefit.
- Within a few minutes of chopping or crushing garlic, the properties of sulfur diminish.
- Garlic has rich nutritional properties but fewer saturated fats and calories content; it is particularly rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and manganese.
- The sulfur compounds from garlic enter the body from the digestive tract and travel all over the body, where it exerts it’s potential biological effects.
- Garlic has a range of health benefits, both raw and cooked.
Raw Garlic vs Cooked Garlic
Having clearly understood the multi benefits of eating garlic, the pertinent question that arises is that Garlic in which form, when consumed, is the best?? Is it the raw, freshly chopped garlic or cooked garlic or garlic supplements? Well, to find out the answer we need to look at the nutrition facts of eating raw garlic
Nutrition In Raw Garlic - Health Benefits Of Eating Raw Garlic
A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving of raw garlic contains :
- Manganese: 23% of the RDA
- Vitamin B6: 17% of the RDA
- Vitamin C: 15% of the RDA
- Selenium: 6% of the RDA
- Fiber: 0.6 grams
Decent amounts of calcium, copper, potassium, phosphorus, iron and vitamin B1. Raw garlic, whether crushed or peeled form is said to be the best to reap the benefits of this wonderful herb in it’s true sense.
Nutrition In Cooked Garlic - Nutritional Value Of Garlic
Unfortunately, cooking garlic diminishes its vitamin content significantly. Vitamins B and C in garlic are water soluble, so they are easily destroyed during food preparation, especially cooking. Since boiling reduces vitamins, especially vitamin C , the National Institutes of Health suggests that steaming and shortening cooking times may help preserve the vitamin C in garlic. Vitamin K is fat soluble so cooking will not affect it.
Tip: To retain the vitamin content of garlic in your recipe, add it at the end of the cooking process to ensure less amount of exposure to heat. Thereby retaining the nutritional properties of Allicin to a great extent.
Garlic – Is It Beneficial To Pregnant ladies?
Garlic is considered to be beneficial during Pregnancy; but the dosage part should be taken care of. Excess amounts of garlic could lead to two health side effects – lower blood pressure and the thinning of blood. So it is safe to include garlic in early pregnancy diet; however, the dosage should be reduced to smaller amounts during the second and third trimesters after consultation with your doctor. You can consume two to four cloves of fresh garlic everyday. Which is equivalent to 600 to 1200 mgs of garlic, 0.03 to 0.12 mgs of garlic essential oil. Garlic is also known to boost baby’s weight during Pregnancy.
Side Effects Of Garlic During Pregnancy - Side Effects Of Garlic For Women
- Garlic is rich in blood thinning properties; thus making it a risky affair for pregnant ladies; especially during the last stages of pregnancy and also if your doctor has suggested for a cesarean section, as it might lead to profuse blood loss during delivery.
- Garlic also reacts with insulin, thus resulting a spate in insulin levels and leading to lower blood sugar levels.
- Higher than recommended quantities could lead to disturbances in the digestive system; leading to stomach upsets.
Side Effects Of Garlic - Dangers Of Eating Raw Garlic
Garlic, when taken in moderation, according to the dosage requirements, but if taken in excess could take a toll on your health in the following ways:
- Excess intake of garlic could result in irregular bowel movements and stomach upsets.
- Garlic is extremely high in medicinal properties; however, it is the strong & pungent smell of the garlic resulting in bad breath, and also a burning sensation in the mouth and stomach, very often leading to diarrhea. These aspects add a not so pleasant touch to this wonderful herb.
- According to a report excess dosage of garlic could lead to heartburn, especially for people who have acid reflux.
- As per a report published by the Harvard Medical School, garlic contains certain compounds which could cause gastroesophageal disease.(GESD)
- For people suffering from acid reflux, it is generally recommended by doctors to avoid garlic.
A doting mom to an angel, Social Media Specialist & Professional Blogger. She loves to share her thoughts with other parents in the same turbulent boat. She absolutely loves & adores her family & is learning to strike a good work-life balance. When she is not writing, cooking or busy taking care of her toddler, she probably is dancing to some good desi music!