It is said that you are what you eat. Rather, what you eat today will shape how you live tomorrow. There is an indelible truth in every word of this statement. Immunity is perhaps the key factor that decides your health. With the seasonal changes and unpredictable weather, your child becomes more susceptible to diseases and infections like common cough and cold. How To Increase Immunity In Child Naturally-Ayurveda? Wherever you go, you watch your kids play in the playground alongside kids with runny noses or with severe coughs, or maybe with conjunctivitis too.
You watch helplessly as those same fingers go into their mouths or the nose, and there it is- the perfect inlet for the germs and eventually infections. As a parent, you have 2 choices –
1) Become over-cautious. Do not let the children play out considering risk to hygiene factors.
2) Let them play in the open and ensure they immediately have a good bath before resuming their studies, eating and ensure you are building their immunity to protect them from the possibility of an infection.
But haven’t you enjoyed rains as a child?
Haven’t you jumped on the little puddles and made paper boats?
Haven’t you eaten golas & pani-puris on the street?
Haven’t you had the orange ice stick ice-cream at the beach?
Then why shouldn’t your kids enjoy the same in their childhood? Why do you not want your children to enjoy these wonderful moments?
IT IS OK TO LET GO SOMETIMES!
So, what can you do as a parent? How can you boost your child’s immunity?
- Foods That Help You Increase Immunity In Child / Kids
- How To Boost Immunity In Toddlers - Ayurveda Foods
- Ayurvedic Food to Increase Immunity - How to Boost Immunity in Toddlers
- Easy-To-Digest Foods
- Eat Your Meals At The Right Time, The Right Quantity & Right Manner
- Ayurvedic Foods That Increase Immunity In The Child
- Yoga & Meditation
- Ayurvedic Herbs to Increase Immunity in Child
- Tips To Boost Immunity In Child During Winter
Foods That Help You Increase Immunity In Child / Kids
Yoghurt & Probiotics - How to Increase Immunity in Child in India
Yoghurt is one of the most common food consumed in India. When the question " How to increase immunity in child in India " arises, Yoghurt shouldn't come as a surprise. Yoghurt boosts 'Gut Health' as it contains beneficial bacteria that prevent cold & flu in both children & adults. Serve Greek at least once a day, pair it with fruit and homemade granola to make it yummy & healthy. If your child does not acquire a liking to yoghurt, try low-fat curd in any form like raita or lassi to improve the digestive system of your child.
Lemons and other citrus foods - Best Food To Increase Immunity in Child
Lemons are considered to be one of the super foods packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, folate, which makes it the Best food to increase immunity in children. It has become an essential in our everyday diet. Lemon juice can be added to many of the dishes and make it tangy and tasty. You can have ½ a lemon a day diluted with water or added to foods.
I have read that studies show that lemon juice destroys the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria typhoid and other deadly diseases. An added benefit being that it also destroys intestinal worms. Thus, making it very useful and relevant when it comes to kids’ health, as we all know what all goes into their little tummies. Above all, it is very helpful in boosting the immune system.
Garlic - Best Foods To Improve Immunity In Child
Garlic is used widely in the Indian cuisine in curries and gravies. It adds great flavour to the dish and has fantastic anti-viral,anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial properties. It improves the production of White-Blood Cells which fight infection in the body. Use liberally to avoid constipation, cold & cough in kids.
Read Quick Healthy Lunch Box Recipes For Kids using these ingredients.
The famous tagline that we all associate with the National egg campaign in India is “Sunday ho yaa Monday, roz khao Andey”. This initiative has gone a long way in promoting the consumption of an egg every day in kid’s diet. Be it in the way of scrambled eggs, boiled egg, raw egg or omelettes, no other food can substitute eggs, as it is one of the only foods with naturally occurring vitamin D. They also include a number of other immune-boosting nutrients such as B vitamins, selenium, B12 vitamin and folic acid. It is important to note that the egg is a complete protein food and has 6 grams of proteins per serving.
Oats and other whole grains
Oats and other whole grain cereals like wheat, rye, barley, maize, corn, ragi and lentil, to name a few are very rich in Vitamin B. Vitamin B6, pantothenoic acid and folic acid are helpful in strengthening the immune system. Vitamins can not only help fight the bacteria away but also give the necessary impetus to the immune system to fight back in the event of any disease or infections. Thus, it is very important to include them in your kid’s diet.
If may interest you to know Oats Are A Healthy Way To Increase Weight In Children.
Almonds, Walnuts & Nuts - How To Improve Immunity Home Remedies
How to improve immunity home remedies?
Instead of munching on the crunchy chips, chocolates & cookies, give your child a generous helping of almonds, walnuts, raisins, figs, pecans, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds that are power houses of proteins, Vitamin E, minerals, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, zinc & Omega-3 Fatty acids - critically essential if you are a vegetarian. Although, they are high in calories, they are good calories. You can introduce nuts in the powdered form to toddlers above 6months in the form of porridge to begin with for ease of digestion.
Green Leafy Vegetables - How To Increase Immunity Power Naturally
How to increase immunity power naturally?
As much as some kids dislike GLV's, they promote DNA repair and hence a must for growing children. They contain anti-oxidants, iron, folic acid, zinc & essential vital vitamins. Incorporate greens at least 4-5 times a week in different forms - cooked, baked, raw or boiled. Spinach, kale, broccoli are power houses of essential nutrients. They also help fight cancer.
How To Boost Immunity In Toddlers - Ayurveda Foods
Ayurvedic medicine for immunity power has proven to have significant improvement in overall health as it is not about suppressing the symptoms, but about addressing the root cause of our imbalances. It is the oldest medicinal system that has originated from India.
It does not just combat infections and diseases but more importantly works towards the prevention of the development of diseases.
Ayurvedic Food to Increase Immunity - How to Boost Immunity in Toddlers
Using Ayurvedic food to increase immunity shouldn't come as a surprise. Ayurveda concentrates on immunity-enhancing foods.
Any food which transforms itself into ojas is good for immunity, hence creates radiant good health & stable emotions, promoting quality liver functioning, and a balanced endocrine system.
If the food creates ama, it's bad for the body. They include hard-to-digest foods or caused due to bad or untimely eating habits.
Read more on Banyan Botanicals.
- Dairy products like curd & paneer, lentils like pulses and dhals, fresh vegetables, fruits & whole grains that are not processed are quickly converted into "Ojas" which enhance immunity.
- Strictly avoid packaged food as they contain harmful preservatives, chemicals which turns into "Ama" and does not reach the cells for absorption of vitamins & minerals.
- Avoid meat - Ayurveda advocates intake of only vegetarian food.
- Avoid sugar, alcohol, canned foods, microwaved foods and gluten.
- Asafoetida destroys poisons and bad bacteria. So, do include in all the main dishes.
Eat Your Meals At The Right Time, The Right Quantity & Right Manner
- Digestion is the best when the sun rays are at the peak. So your lunch(mid-day meal) should be the heaviest; followed by 'Breakfast' and then 'Dinner' being the lightest of all.
- A routine helps normalize the digestion process.
- Eat only 70-75% of your normal capacity for optimum digestion.
- Consume 150ml luke-warm water along with your meals to ease digestion
- Do not over cook. Let it be soft but not mushy.
- Eat seasonal foods that are locally grown in your region.
- Fast once a week to cleanse your system (if possible).
- Scrape the tongue daily to remove bad odour and harmful microbes.
Ayurvedic Foods That Increase Immunity In The Child
- Green Leafy Vegetables - Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli and Mustard Greens contain iron, flavanoids and antioxidants and mentioned earlier.
- Use mild spices like Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander & Black Pepper while cooking food for your child to strengthen the intelligence of the immune system.
- Whole Grain Foods - Barley, Ragi, Amaranth and Quinoa are superfoods when consumed regularly.
- Fruits like Pomegranate, Papaya, Plums, Peaches, Apples, Pineapple which are sweet contain fibre and antioxidants which are great to taste and super healthy.
Yoga & Meditation
- Yoga helps to dissipate tension, remove stagnation, and promotes fluidity throughout the tissues, through the mental and emotional spheres.
- Meditation cultivates passive awareness and helps us to engage with our lives in a vivid and detached manner. This skill when developed, calms the nervous system and decreases stress.
- Adequate sleep is extremely essential for your body to recoup.
- Pranayama and breathing expedite digestion and help maintain a calm positive state of mind.
Read on the Best Yoga Poses For Kids.
Ayurvedic Herbs to Increase Immunity in Child
- Ginger: Fresh ginger, dried ginger or ginger root kindles digestive fire, and cleanses the blood and lymph. It promotes blood circulation and removes excess kapha from the lungs.
How to consume: 25-30 drops of Ginger juice in water 2-3 times a day.
- Turmeric: Known as the "Golden Spice", it purifies blood, eliminates toxins from the digestive tract. Can be taken as freshly ground turmeric powder or liquid extract.
How to consume: Either incorporate it in your daily diet in curries, gravies, etc. atleast twice a meal or take 1-2 tablet everyday.
- Tulsi: Tulsi has several benefits and is a common household plant widely worshiped in India. Some of them include - blood circulation, respiratory disorders, cold & cough, digestion, mental clarity.
How to consume: The ideal way would be to eat fresh 2-3 fresh Tulsi leaves everyday.
- Chyavanprash: It is a herbal jam made from amalaki fruit. It buffers against stress, and bolsters the immune system. Consumed everyday, this nutritive jam can support energy, vitality, and overall well-being. This is the easiest way to use Ayurvedic Herbs to Increase Immunity in Child.
How to consume: Take 1–2 tsp daily.
- Ashwagandha: In Sanskritit means “smell of a horse” its name implies the strength, power and virility of a horse. Ashwagandha is a rejuvenative herb that nourishes the tissues, reduces anxiety and stress, increases libido and fertility, balances the nervous system. It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
How to consume: As recommended by the doctor.
- Trifle, Giloy, Shatavatri add solid herbal support to the immune system.
How to consume: A combination as directed by your Ayurvedic Expert.
- Ojas Drink - Ayurvedic Medicine For Immunity Power
Once of the best ways to build ojas is to make a morning drink on empty stomach. Blend the following ingredients in 300ml of milk (organic, non-homogenized or raw cow milk) or almond milk:
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3 tbsps blanched almonds
- 2-3 dates
- 3 to 4 strands of saffron
- 1 tsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp raw honey
Tips To Boost Immunity In Child During Winter
- Massage regularly warm oils such as sesame or sunflower that strengthens the skin, muscles and nourishes the tissues.
- Taking bath in lukewarm water with epsom salt and essential oils with ingredients including cardamom, eucalyptus, rosemary, cinnamon, cedar, pine, juniper, basil is probably one of the easiest Tips to Boost Immunity in Child during Winter
- Honey & Amla can be included in your daily diet raw or in the form of juice.
- Regular exercise eliminates strain, moves stagnant emotional and mental energy, enhances blood circulation, improves digestion & promotes good sleep.
I hope you include these superfoods in your child’s diet but in case they are fussy eaters or need an extra boost, you can always look into including food supplements in their diet. With the extra immunity boost, you can let them do all those things that you loved to do as a kid including letting them play in the rain!
Kanchan is a doting mom to two angels and is passionate about writing. With over 3 years of experience in the content space, she strives to push boundaries and balance her personal & professional life well.